Saturday, December 1, 2007

‘I finally got pregnant! And all because I stayed committed to a low GI diet so that my insulin levels wouldn’t rise too high.’ – Stephanie
‘I’m 29 and have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) – I was diagnosed in my early teens. My symptoms are irregular periods, infertility and excess of testosterone levels (hormone imbalance). I didn’t find out until this year that the main underlying problem was my insulin level. I did lots of research on my own about PCOS and if there was a way to reverse my condition because I wanted to start a family, and I found that being on a low GI diet was the ticket. I’m not overweight (that can be another side effect of having PCOS) but after only 3 months of being on a low GI diet, I lost 10 pounds and I and my cycles became regular. Then the shock of my life came when I found out that I was pregnant! After all these years of doctors telling me that getting pregnant would be a great challenge or that it won’t happen at all! And all because I stayed committed to a low GI diet, so that my insulin levels wouldn’t rise too high. I’ve finally learned that we can reverse our health conditions once we have the knowledge of what the “trigger” is and I believe in nature’s way of doing this. Knowledge is power and I’m staying on the low GI diet for as long as I can because I know I’ve seen the great results for myself.’

[PREGNANT]

‘In late November 2006, I decided to commit to a regular exercise regime AND a low GI diet. I have lost approximately 10 kilos (22 lbs) in the process and I feel terrific.’ – Fil
‘I am writing this to you a little worse for wear after having completed the 14 km (8.7 mile) City to Surf run yesterday [this was sent to GI News on August 13] in Sydney. A little worse for wear is my way of saying that your body at 44 years of age lets you know when you push the boundaries after a workout like that. So today, my legs and knee joints in particular are reminding me of my efforts yesterday.

But the really good news is that I shaved almost 15 minutes off my time last year and am back at work the next day whereas this time last year, I was far too sore and sorry to leave my house. What has caused this transition? It is really simple. In late November 2006, I decided to commit to a regular exercise regime AND a low GI diet. I have lost approximately 10 kilos (22 lbs) in the process and I feel terrific. I can also sense that my body is more appreciative of the way I am treating it than ever before. I had follow up blood tests about 2 months ago which confirmed that all pre-diabetes triggers ( cholesterol, sugar levels, triglycerides etc) had fallen well below the acceptable limits which is a fantastic turn around based on earlier results some 8 months earlier.

[CITY TO SURF]

Getting both medical and physical confirmation about the benefits of my new lifestyle changes has been such a positive experience and I can only say thank you to the whole GI team on providing me with the information I needed at the right time. I feel very fortunate to have been able to “reverse” some of the telltale signs associated with men in my age group and look forward to encouraging the rest of my family to embrace this lifestyle as well because the results simply speak for themselves. Bring on the 2008 City to Surf I say!’

0 comments: